Friday, June 3, 2011

Sharing a TenSpot with...Alicia McBride

Alicia McBride is a friend (or protege if you will) of Sandy Rowe Wiedmeyer. She competes in the NGA (National Gym Association) and INBF (International Natural Bodybuilding & Fitness Federation), two great drug-free organizations. She's been competing just this year, but prior to that, she's has some serious life journies, as described in this interview.

Photo provided by Alicia herself


FitGems Nation: Let’s kick this off by telling us a bit about yourself.
Alicia McBride: I am 24 years old and grew up in Wisconsin. I started lifting when I was about 14, and then really got into it when I joined the military and went overseas. I served four years in the Navy, got out and am now working as a Correctional Officer in Wisconsin.

FitGems: When did you first start competing?
Alicia: I just started competing this year. I competed in the 2011 Fords Gym Wisconsin Natural Bodybuilding, Fit Body & Figure Championships and took 1st in Tall Figure, and I competed in the 2011 NGA Heart of America Natural Classic where I did not place.

FitGems: What is your strategy when you head to the gym? Is it mostly weight-training, mostly cardio, a balanced mixture of the two, or something else?
Alicia: When I am in competition prep I do a mixture of the two. I shed the body fat fairly easy so I don’t have to do a ton of cardio. In the off season I mainly do weights and I keep the cardio to a minimum.

FitGems: Due to your muscularity, has anyone mistaken you for being in something OTHER than physique competitions (MMA fighter, boxer, pro wrestler, track and field runner, etc?)
Alicia: Yes, everyone asks me if I play basketball or if I’m training for a race.

FitGems: You compete in the INBF and NGA. For those unaware of what those federations are, may you explain a little bit more about it?
Alicia: They are natural organizations that are drug tested and require competitors to be drug free for seven years. They drug test by use of polygraph and/or urine sample.

FitGems: Even though figure is a subjective sport and consistency is not the best when it comes to how federations “stick with it” over the year, how do YOU personally think figure should be judged?
Alicia: Who has the “full package”, not just who has the best shoulders. I think maybe it would help if the judges had a checklist type paper and gave each competitor a score on each section, such as; shoulders, lat spread, symmetry, ect and tallied points up that way.

FitGems: If you weren’t a part of the female physique world, what would you be doing right now as your profession?
Alicia: I would still be a Correctional Officer, but would probably be more dedicated to running races, and I would still be dedicated to lifting weights and trying to improve myself.

FitGems: Which competitor (past or present) you look up to the most for your inspiration?
Alicia: I have always looked up to Ava Cowan and Jamie Easton, and basically any female competitor that gets on that stage because they all put a lot of work and dedication into training and preparing for the competition.

FitGems: If there’s one piece of advice that you could give to someone who’s on the fence about competing, what would it be?
Alicia: Go talk to a trainer and ask some questions, go see a competition, and read up about it online.

FitGems: What are your future plans heading into 2011 and beyond, and where do you see your career after you’re done competing?
Alicia: I plan to compete in the fall of 2011; I plan on doing the Fords Gym INBF competition again in October, and the NANBF Natural Badger Classic.

For more on Alicia, visit her BodySpace page at http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/byzika/ and her page on FitGems Nation at http://www.fitgemsnation.net/profile/AliciaMcBride. Best of luck to you Alicia on your career! :)

No comments: