Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sharing a TenSpot...with Gail Auerbach

Gail Auerbach is part of the top muscle sites out there today, RxMuscle. She is the editor-in-chief of their female portion of the site, RxGirl, where she's known as "The Prodigy" Not only does she head up RxGirl, she's a NPC Middleweight Bodybuilder as well. Gail was gracious enough to take some time out of her busy schedule to conduct an interview with us.



Photo credit goes to Gail herself.


FitGems Nation: Let’s kick this off by telling us a bit about yourself.
Gail Auerbach: I live in Chi town and work as a first grade teacher. I have a whole ton of degrees in education and the love of my life is special education. Having a whole slew of disabilities myself these are the students I can relate well to. I am close with my family(especially my lil niece) and a core group of friends. I am pretty determined, a hard worker and will do anything to accomplish my goals.

FitGems: When did you first start competing?
Gail: My first local show was in 2007, which was when I first started lifting weights.

FitGems: What is your strategy when you head to the gym? Is it mostly weight-training, mostly cardio, a balanced mixture of the two, or something else?
Gail: This depends on whether I am dieting for a show or in my offseason. I usually will do AM fasted cardio and weight train in the evenings. Unless I am in prep and then I do cardio a few times a day!

FitGems: At first glance, has anyone mistaken you for being in something OTHER than physique competitions (MMA fighter, boxer, pro wrestler, track and field runner, softball player, etc?)
Gail: Nope, I think looking at me it is pretty obvious!

FitGems: With women’s physique and bikini now part of the NPC and IFBB, do you feel that there’s now a division for every female who wants to compete?
Gail: Absolutely! Which makes it better for all involved. I just don't want to see female bodybuilding disappear so I am hoping it continues in some fashion!

FitGems: In addition to competing, you are the head person of RxGirl (a part of RxMuscle). How did that come about?
Gail: I am extremely passionate about my job at RX Girl. I am blessed to be able to get to know so many wonderful female athletes and promote them on so many levels. When I got my minor in undergrad in PR, I really thought I would never use it, being a teacher, but I didn't want to graduate and leave college so I decided to get it. It's funny 11 years later to actually be using it! I kept nagging my diet guru, Dave Palumbo about wanting to "give back" and do more for the industry, but being a full time career driven teacher, I just didn't know how. He let me help behind the scenes at RX Muscle a bit and as the site started to grow he offered me the position. I was SO excited, I didn't sleep for a week! Now it is a dream to work with and for him and share the same vision and goals for the site. I encourage any women who may be reading this to contact me for promotional opportunities.

FitGems: Who in the fitness industry has been your biggest inspiration?
Gail: My boss, friend and diet guru Dave Palumbo, who has been my leading inspiration in life and enlightened me in numerous ways. Michael Liberatore who has been training me for years and never stops challenging and believing in me. All the middleweight female bodybuilders who graced the stage before me. I looked up to them!

FitGems: If you weren’t a part of the female physique world whatsoever, what would you be doing right now as your profession?
Gail: Exactly what I am doing...teaching little kids and loving it each and every day! (except when they bring their germs to school and get me sick! lol!)

FitGems: What (if anything) would you change about any of the IFBB female divisions?
Gail: I wouldn't change anything! Really!

FitGems: What advice do you have for anyone who wants to compete?
Gail: Make it your own journey and about you. Don't worry who else is on the stage or what other people say or look like. Find your support system who will be there for you and continue to push toward your own goals.

If you want to contact Gail, you can email her at GHAuerbach@yahoo.com. You can also "like" her on  Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gail-Auerbach-Natl-Level-Body-Builder-Fan-Page/121950654537793.

No comments: