Monday, June 15, 2009

Judging a Book (or Magazine in this case) by its Cover?!

Wow...wow...wow. So much fuss over one little cover. But that's exactly what's going on with the July / August Issue of Muscle & Fitness Hers. Celebrity figure Kim Kardashian is on the cover, and it has caused quite a stir in the industry, to say the least.

To view the entire article and the cover, and read the various comments, click
here.

From what I've read so far in the comments, it looks like the men are FOR Double-K on the mag cover, and the women in the industry are AGAINST her on the cover for the most part, with some exceptions on both genders. However, I can understand where the women are coming from in this issue.


I looked at this as a business guy, and came up with this conclusion (BTW, I posted the exact same thing on
Siouxcountry) :

I'm no Issac and I'm no Scribbler, but I definitely understand why someone like Kim would be on the cover, and as someone who wants to see this industry flourish as much as possible, I support Weidler's decision to put Kim on the cover.


If anything, this will bring more exposure to the sport, which is always a good thing (if done right). I mean, people outside this industry might not have a CLUE who Christine Pomponio-Pate, Nicole Wilkins-Lee and Kristi Tauti are. But they sure as hell know who Kim Kardashian is, whether they like her or not. No, this sport will not appeal to everyone (that's a given in anything), but if more people see this sport due to seeing something that has a celebrity they know, then the more exposure the sport itself will get. More exposure could mean more participants in the future, and possibly more money into the industry, and in this economy, that's a very good thing.


I'm not a fan of Kim or her show (not my thing), but speaking as a business person, I applaud what you're attempting to do.


Long story short...never judge a book by its cover. Or in this case, a magazine.


Again, this is strictly my opinion, and no, I'm not trying to kiss anyone's posterior on this issue. I'm just stating my thoughts on the whole thing and that's all. However, how do YOU feel about this? Do you see this as a chance to bring the sport more women with a celebrity status? Or do you think M and F Hers went about it the wrong way?

No comments: