Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sharing a TenSpot with...Jennifer Gates

Ok...gotta be honest; if I had to root for just ONE figure competitor to win this year's Olympia out of everyone that's qualified so far...it would be none other than Jenn Gates. Why? She has this "it" factor that can't be explained. She's a hardworking mother and nurse who has big plans for the figure division. So far in the span of less than two years as a pro, she has placed third in her first contest, won a contest a month after that, placed fourth at the Olympia, and getting runner-up honors at the Figure International. Some even had her WINNING the Figure International and becoming Olympia champion in her first YEAR!!! How crazy is that?!?! Not that much if you how dedicated of a woman she it. As we speak, she's preparing for the Olympia in hopes of becoming the first mother to win the Olympia. This of course will be no easy feat, as the level of competition gets harder and harder each year. But if anyone can bring it home for the "shorties" and mommies everywhere, it's the Jenn-ster!

Here's a pic...

(photo from FTVideo)

Now on to the questions:
FitGems:State your name and profession (fitness/figure/female bodybuilding/other).
Jenn Gates: Jenn Gates, IFBB Pro, Figure

FitGems:How many years have you competed?
Jenn: 5 years in figure

FitGems:What is/was one heavy lift that you did or have done in the past that you are most proud of?
Jenn: Squat 120 lbs….back in the day. No need for big lifts anymore….most proud of my 3 a week 5 mile runs for the Arnold this year!!! Conditioning baby!!

FitGems:What made you choose your profession in the first place?
Jenn: I started in bodybuilding in 2001, won my first show….The overall for the Indiana. had no plans to do anything else with it….until I saw figure in 2002 and fell in love with the look!!!

FitGems: What (if anything) would you change about your profession?
Jenn: I would like to see figure athletes used in more mainstreamed areas…ie Television, Magazines (besides fitness type magazines)

FitGems: If you weren’t in figure, what would be the most likely thing you’d be doing right now that is NOT fitness or women’s bodybuilding?
Jenn: I’d probably be learning how to fight…kickboxing, sparring, boxing….or president of the PTA for my kid’s school.

FitGems: Who or whom do you look up to the most for your inspiration?
Jenn: First, my husband Derek and two kiddos Peyton and Adelyn, and my dad Dave…they all make me want to do better!!! Also, all of my fellow competitors. We all work hard…it takes so much discipline and determination.

FitGems: Career-wise, you are much like WWE superstar John Cena. By that, I mean that you’ve become such an elite star in what would take most people years to get to. Can you explain the success?
Jenn: I spent years as an amateur finding what works for me….I finally found it turned Pro and have been rewarded for it. I have worked just as hard as any figure competitor though. Now I am just tweeking it and perfecting it!!
FitGems: You look like someone who would a great fit in Hollywood. What would be your dream role if giving the opportunity one day?
Jenn: Any role that would costar with Matthew McConaughey or Brad Pitt…shh…or a role of a vampire heroine with my favorite Kate Bekinsale from Underworld!!

FitGems: What are your future plans in the female muscle industry?
Jenn: I have many dreams and goals. I want to motivate as many women as possible…especially mothers. Dreams do come true….you have to live them!! I hope to break more history in the IFBB and be the first MOM to win a big title….Olympia or Arnold!!!

Being the sweetheart she is, she told me thanks. I say, you're welcome. Give them hell at the Olympia, Jenn!!

For more of her, check out the following links:
Her Yahoo! fan club (created by me): http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/jen_gates/

No comments: